How to Replace Front Differential Bushing in GM vehicles - Hummer H3, Ch...


Disclosure:

Please note this is the process I followed to replace

Front Differential Mounting Bracket Bushing.

GM process requires removing of Steering Knuckle before

removal of CV Drive Shaft (CV Axle) - but I was able to

manage to remove CV Drive Shaft without disconnecting

from lower control arm.



This video show my steps, which may look like it is an easy

process. However, I faced some challenges when removing

some bolts and bushing - which I will share at the end of

the video.



If you are not able to remove Drive Shaft (CV Axle) here you will need to remove Steering Knuckle as per

GM Steering Knuckle process steps.

Pay attention to brake lines - to prevent stretching/breaking



How to Replace Front Differential Mounting Bracket Bushing

Loosen the Wheel Drive Shaft Nut

Loosen Wheel Lug Nuts

Before lifting - make sure vehicle doesn't roll

Raise wheel off ground

Remove Wheel

Disconnect Brake Lines from retaining clips

Disconnect Tie Rod from Steering Knuckle

Remove Upper Control Arm Pinch Bolt and Nut

Remove Wheel Drive Shaft Nut

Remove CV Drive Shaft from Steering Knuckle

Before removing CV Drive Shaft - place oil pan

Remove CV Drive Shaft from Differential

Remove Mounting Bracket Bolts

Remove old Bushing

Press out old Bushing

Clean-up Mounting Bracket and Bushing housing

Install new Bushing

Reinstall Mounting Bracket.

Finish tightening Bolts as per your vehicle Torq Spec

For my H3 - all Mounting Bolts spec - 112 lb ft

Reinstall CV Drive Shaft - C-clip gap should point down when installing. Make sure it is properly in

Follow steps in reverse to complete installation


Make sure you tighten all bolts according to

your vehicle Torque Specifications

For my Hummer H3:

Upper Control Arm Ball Pinch Bolt Nut - 52 lb ft

Tie Rod End Nut - 52 lb ft

Front Wheel Drive Shaft Nut - 191 lb ft

Wheel Lug Nuts - 103 lb ft 



Challenges that I faced:

- Removal of CV Drive Shaft from Steering Knuckle

- Reinstalling Mounting Bracket on passenger side. I installed 4 bolts to axle

first before installing long bolt to frame

- When installing Mounting Bracket on driver side - I broke thread on one

of 4 bolts which attach to axle. I think 112 lb ft is too tight for some

of bolts on driver side. I used Blue Thread Locker and tightened

2 lower bolts to the point where I felt it's gonna break the

thread (about 90 ft lb)







Comments